Mister Hizzle Welcomes All

I would like to thank you for visiting my site and I hope you enjoy the different topics I discuss as well as personal interests in my life.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

NYC Steam Pipe Explosion

Yesterday was a normal afternoon/evening. I was finishing up work and decided to take the subway home to make sure I would be able to pick up my laundry before closing. As I entered the subway station on 32nd and Park the 6 looked really packed and my first instinct was to squeeze in and get home. Then I was like there's probably another train right behind it so I'll wait to have more space. Once the train departed someone came over the loudspeaker and said all 4,5 and 6 trains were stopped in both directions as there was an explosion at Grand Central. I thought I heard wrong but they said it again. So I exited the subway station looked up Lexington Avenue and could not believe what I saw. A huge geyser of steam and brown-like substance was spouting out of the ground with incredible force. There were a ton of people standing, staring, wondering if this was an act of terror. Bystanders had there camera phones out taking pictures, others were walking towards the explosion to get a better look...It wound up being a steam pipe explosion...Thoughts just went through my head the whole time. What if I had taken that subway train...Was that 6 train stuck at Grand Central as a result? What if I had decided to walk home and the steam pipe had exploded near me? I usually walk in that area on my way home. I just hope everyone who was in the area at that time ends up being ok. I know one woman died from a heart attack and others were injured. All you can do is hope and pray those injured turn out ok. Situations like this just make you think about life and how precious it is and how it can all be taken away from you or loved ones in an instant. I always try to let the people who are an important part of my life know how much they mean to me in one way or another on a consistent basis.

No comments: