Mister Hizzle Welcomes All

I would like to thank you for visiting my site and I hope you enjoy the different topics I discuss as well as personal interests in my life.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Injuries

Everyone who has ever played a sport has for the most part experienced an injury at one time or another. While watching the Giants play the Redskins tonight yet another player suffered an injury. Jeremy Shockey wound up breaking his leg and will undergo surgery later this week. With his season now over he will be on the road to one of those tiresome, boring, long ordeals of rehab..

Seeing Shockey's injury tonight brought back memories for myself. I was fortunate to never break a bone playing basketball. Through my years I was pretty much injury free except for a sprained ankle/finger here and there. However my senior year of high school i remember when i went down on a drive to the basket and knew my left ankle was in pretty bad shape. After finishing the game (my coach was like Bobby Knight and did not care for one's injuries, lol) I went home and put my foot in an ice bucket. The pain was unbearable.. The next day I went to the doctor and was told I had a badly sprained ankle where I had torn some ligaments. I missed the next two games and during the next couple weeks I did intense water pool therapy and heat/cold stimulation sessions. Trying to get my ankle back into useable shape was a job in itself. I finished out the season playing decently but the ankle injury definitely hampered my productivity on the court at times.

After having that "significant injury" where I had to rehad and wasn't at 100% I realized that injuries are a part of the game and something you have to deal with. When you can't play up to your full potential or playing the game you love is taken away from you as a result of an in jury you realize that playing a sport is something you should cherish each day because it's something you will not always have the luxery of doing.

No comments: