Mister Hizzle Welcomes All

I would like to thank you for visiting my site and I hope you enjoy the different topics I discuss as well as personal interests in my life.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Mayo, Gordon, Beasley, Love, Rose

This is why I believe college basketball is one of the best sports to watch. Before the NBA implemented the rule where high school players can no longer jump straight to the NBA and had to play at least one year of college basketball, you weren't able to see the very best of the high school class play on the "next" level. The college level against their peers. Instead they were going directly to the NBA and playing against grown men. Granted some of these guys can make it in the NBA right away but I believe at least one year of college ball makes most of the players if not all of them better fundamentally. This year we have been given the priviledge to watch the cream of the crop play at least one year of college ball. Here is a little bit about each of them from what I've seen.

1) Mister Gordon- Erick Gordon is a 6' 4" guard. Well built and very strong with the ball. He is not the fastest player but his first step is explosive and he can get to the basket at will. He does a great job getting to the line and I'd have to say he is the best shooter in the freshman class by far.

2) K Love- Kevin Love is a 6' 9" forward. His fundamentals are great as a big man and he is a great rebounder. I don't think he is a great defender yet but on the college level I think he is one of the best big men I've seen in awhile. I kind of equate him to Brad Miller in the NBA. Now I think he will be a serviceable NBA player but as of right now I am not sold on him being dominant in the league. He still has to develop a mid range jumper and get a little quicker.

3) O.J.-Mister O.J. Mayo is a 6' 5" guard. He is like an architect on the court and seems to size his opponent up before he ever makes a move. He will be a good NBA player and I think he has one of the best jumpers in the freshman class. He does have to work on his shot selection but he will be a great scorer on the next level and I compare him to Ben Gordon of the Bulls.

4) Michael Beasley- Beasley is a 6' 9" forward who can do it all. Can shoot the three, pass, rebound and score at will. His defense has to improve but as long as he keeps his head on straight he will be a great NBA player.

5) Derek Rose- D Rose is a 6'4" guard and I would say he is the best NBA prospect in the class. He gets to the rim at WILL and is strong and powerful with the ball. A great distributor and a pure point guard I see him doing incredible things in the leauge as long as he develops a more consistent jumper.

For now enjoy watching these guys who play for Indiana, UCLA, USC, Kansas State and Memphis respectively. They all will most likely be playing in the Association at this time next year.

No comments: